DRINKING BUDDIES

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Temptation Zin

I'm actually quite found of Alexander Valley Vineyards based out of Healdsburg, CA.  Their Chardonnay is a staple for me in sales and I actually got the chance to meet winemaker Hank Wetzel.
The Temptation Zin is the first of three in a spiritual trio of Zinfandels.  Sold around Halloween in a pack known as the Wicked Weekender, the three Zins really having an interesting experience about them that is hard to find in any other family of wine.



Today, I'm reviewing the first called Temptation, which as the name obviously implies, is very tempting.  The overall quality of taste is just mediocre, decent for a $10 wine, but the mouthfeel is what really draws you in.  The initial little bite is much like licking a ripe pink grapefruit that's been coated in sugar, but it is quickly followed by a smoother than silk flow of light tannins and beautifully lush fruit.  Usually, this type of experience is common with Chianti, which isn't surprising that it contains about 5% Sangiovese, the primary grape in Chianti.

There's really not much more I can say about Temptation, except that it's accurately named.  The second in the line, Sin Zin, is definitely a keep though.

Bon Boire!

11 comments:

  1. ohhh that sounds so delicious, ill link to this on my poor mans wine as a referal. i have a bottle at the wine shop in town i hope she is still holding onto, because man, it was so amazing, its my last review on that blog u should check those out, i am a deff fan of Chianti. they please my palate with pure happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I see it at the store I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really should have gone for "The 7 Tasty Zins".

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do sell this wine at my liquor store. Now I know what it tastes like. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had Temptation and enjoyed it. I've had the Sin Zin a very long time ago. Not sure what I thought of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a wine for a metal head! Probably because of the skeleton haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. well you know what they say about $10 wine... it's a step up from the box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes you get lucky, other times you don't I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete